Keeping Your Gaming Accounts Safe
With the growth of gaming came the growth of hackers targeting gaming accounts. This is fueled by these gaming account typically having card information and other identifying information attached. With this rise in attacks many game companies are encouraging users to enable two factor authentication (A password as your first form of authentication and a code as the second).
What is an authenticator app?
Before we show you how to enable 2FA on your gaming accounts, many of them require you to download an authenticator app. This app is tied to your gaming accounts (and many other accounts, for that matter) and continuously generates one-time use codes to access those accounts. You simply open the app, view the current code and enter it before the time expires.
Below are instructions on how to enable two-factor authentication (2FA) across major gaming consoles and platforms.
Enabling two-factor authentication on a Nintendo account is quick and easy, although it must be done via a web browser. Nintendo uses one of the most secure options for 2FA, an authenticator app. Here are the steps:
- Go to the Nintendo Account website and sign into your Nintendo Account.
- Select Sign-in and security settings, scroll down to 2-Step Verification then choose Edit.
- Click 2-Step Verification settings.
- Click Send email and an email will be sent to the address you have on file.
- Enter the code shown in the email and press submit.
- Download the Google Authenticator app from your iOS or Android phone.
- Scan the QR code shown on your Nintendo account.
- Enter the 6-digit verification code into the field and press Submit.
- Copy all the backup codes from the next page and keep them somewhere safe and secure.
- Finally, choose I have saved the backup codes.
- Go to Settings > Account Management > Account Information > Security > 2-Step Verification > Set Up Now.
- Enter your mobile number and select Add.
- A verification code will be sent to you immediately via text message.
- Enter the verification code in the PS4 verification section to authorize your mobile number.
- Select Activate to switch on 2-Step Verification.
- Copy all of your Backup Codes from Settings > Account Management > Account Information > Security > 2-Step Verification > Backup Codes.
- Go to the account management page.
- Next to 2-Step Verification, select Edit > Activate > Continue.
- Enter your mobile number and a verification code will be sent via text message.
- Enter the code and select Verify.
- Copy down all of the codes found in the Backup Codes section of the account management page.
- Go to your Microsoft account(opens in new tab)page and sign in.
- Select Security at the top of the screen.
- Under Two-step verification click Turn on.
- Confirm your phone number or backup email to receive a verification code.
- Enter the verification code and click continue.
- Click Set up two-step verification.
- Select Next and then download the Microsoft Authenticator app or if you already have another authenticator app, simply use that
- Scan the QR code on the following page with your authenticator app and enter the verification code.
- Save the recovery code in a safe place.
- Go to the Account page on the Steam website.
- Scroll down to the Account Security section.
- Click Manage Steam Guard.
- Select Get Steam Guard codes from the Steam app on my phone.
- Download and install the Steam app for Android or iOS(opens in new tab).
- Sign into the app and tap the hamburger menu in the top left corner.
- Tap Steam Guard and then Add Authenticator.
- Enter the code that is sent to your registered phone number.
- Save the Recovery Code and tap Done.
- Go to the Account Settings page of your Epic account.
- Click on the Password & Security tab.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Enable Authenticator App, Enable SMS Authentication or Enable Email Authentication depending on your preference.
- Follow the on-page instructions for the relevant authentication method.